Monday 5 March 2012

Two Small Finishes

I'm in the mood to stitch smaller designs lately. They give the impression that you're accomplishing a lot more than you actually are. Let's face it, they just make you feel better especially when you're tiring of one of your BAPs. 
I finished two more smalls on the weekend and one of my friends commented saying, "Wow, you're really stitching a lot more than you used to."  
Not really, it just looks that way, lol!
First finish is BBD Breath of Spring. Loved this little design from the first time I set eyes on it. I will complete it as the suggested pillow finish. I've also included a pic of my backing fabric and this weekend I found the perfect lace trim to accompany it.

BBD Breath of Spring
stitched on 28ct Fairy Dust Lugana
using Crescent Colours Floss



I want to thank all those of you who helped me in finding some St. Patrick's Day freebies to stitch. Thanks to you I now have a small assortment from which to choose! My second finish comes from one of these charts..... Plum Street Samplers Got Luck


The picture doesn't do justice to the colour of the fabric. It's actually a lot more green than it appears. It has a lovely mottling appearance to it. I chose a piece of Silkweaver's Evergreen jobelan  and fortunately there is enough of the fabric left on which to do another small stitch. I couldn't find any St. Paddy's fabric at my local fabric shops so I purchased a fat quarter off of ebay and I'm awaiting its arrival to finish this as a pincushion.

This morning I opened my mail to find an interesting photo sent by my youngest son. It seems that a former coworker of his has designed a deck of playing cards. Each card in the deck is a sketch of either a family member or friend . This coworker chose to sketch Chris for the photo on the 6 of Clubs.


The sketch is actually a pretty good likeness, right down to the tattoo Chris sports on his arm and his ear piercing! Chris was the artist's supervisor at work and in his job Chris would open the store in the morning as well as make any necessary announcements, hence the keys and the microphone. The mike also signifies Chris' role as lead singer in his punk band. Chris' friend is creating these playing cards as gifts for his family during the coming year. What a uniquely personal gift!!

I hope that none of my blogging friends have been affected by the horrific rash of tornadoes which passed through the U.S. on the weekend. So many have suffered such devastating losses and my heart goes out to them. I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

That about sums things up for now. My second oldest son has been visiting here for the weekend and is sleeping in the room which contains my stash. I'm waiting for him to wake up so I can get in there to find my next start. At what age do they start to wake at an earlier hour? Or do they ever?!

23 comments:

  1. Love love love your finish! The fabric you chose is a perfect companion! Can't wait to see your finish pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet finishes Lynn! The backing fabric for the Easter piece is perfect. I never thought of looking on Ebay. I know there isn't a lot of choice in the fabric stores :o(

    That is SO NEAT! What a unique gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both of your finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the BBD finish! I need to find some of the colored Jobelan. SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the bunnies! Very Springy!! Good job on the finishes!
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pillow with be gorgeous Lynn, nice complimentary fabric. I had to laugh about the sleeping and wake up time and at what age does it fit in with us... The cards are just the best idea I have seen in such a long time. How unique and what a treasure.
    Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello

    Lovely finishes,

    I like the photo of the cat peeking out of the bushes, it's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finishes, Lynn! I adore the backing fabric you found for Breath of Spring ~ it goes so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute finishes!! I'm sure that is an very unique deck of cards - how fun that your son gets to be on one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finishes! What a pretty fabric for the back too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very sweet finish! This has always been one of my favorite spring/Easter themed designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely finishes! That playing card is a work of art-wish I had that imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both your finishes. The fabric you've chosen to back the Easter one with is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That playing card is so neat--what an amazing gift! Both the talent that your son's friend has, and for him to do the playing cards.

    Congratulations on the finishes! I love 'em both. I've been more into doing smaller things these days, too. I love my samplers but it's nice to see a finish more often than usual, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have chosen the perfect backing fabric. I think when you have a BAP on the go it is a good idea to have a small project to hand

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Lynn congrats on your two little happy dances they're sweet!

    That playing card of your son is sooo cool!

    Next week is March Break and I'm looking forward to stitching my little heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty finish, Lynn. That fabric you picked to back it goes perfectly with it. Can't wait to see the completed pillow. Cute March design you've stitched.

    That is indeed a cool gift. Handmade, personalized gifts are the best.

    Hugs,
    Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your BBD finish, such perfect colours for Spring. Cute St Patrick's Day finish too! There are definitely times when it feels good to have some smaller projects on the go and you can enjoy some quicker finishes. Love the playing card idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two darling finishes, Lynn... And that fabric for your BBD is perfect!! I've been stitching a few St. Patrick's Day things, too. Sure hope I can get them finished before the 17th!

    Love the card of Chris--and how suitable that it contains green shamrocks :) His friend is obviously very talented

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful finishes, and I just love the Red Rooster fabric you've choosen for BBD design!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your basket design, and the backing fabric is just perfect! Like that Got Luck - it is darling. Well if my kids (and DH) are any example, they never get up early unless they have to!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome idea for the playing cards - and so well done!!

    Gotta agree with you on the smaller projects, especially with my stitching time so limited these days! I really should get to something small after I finish Connie's project, just so I feel like I've accomplished something. :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels